- The Brussel Sprout
Why is it good to eat these little “mini cabbages”? Well first off Brussels Sprouts aren’t among the most well-loved vegetables. But as a member of the nutritionally potent cruciferous family, they’re worth a place in your healthy diet. Not only are Brussels Sprouts a good source of protein, iron and potassium, but they also offer other benefits that can boost your overall health.
If you still find you aren’t a fan of Brussel Sprouts I promise by taking this route to enhance them with BACON and Caramelized onions , you will see the most unlikely of people licking their plate and devouring every last morsel.
They are a little time consuming but worth every step.
- 1 pound of brussels sprouts
- 4 slices bacon, diced (I used Smoked Applewood Bacon for more amazing flavor)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salted or unsalted butter
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Trim the ends of the brussels sprouts, and cut the larger ones in half (mine must have all been large because I cut them all in half). Spread them on a foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and lightly season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss until they are all well coated. Spread evenly on baking sheet, roast in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until they are nicely browned, turning once halfway through so they will brown evenly.
- While the brussels sprouts are roasting take a large skillet and fry the diced acon until it is nice and brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow the bacon to drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In the same pan (yes, with all the bacon grease…you can take a little bit out if you are feeling really guilty) add 2 teaspoons of butter and the thinly sliced onions, keeping the heat on high until you start to see a little bit of color in the onions, at this point reduce the heat to medium low, to low, lightly season with salt and pepper. Slowly cook the onions until they are soft and brown and caramelized, stirring often… took me about 30 minutes. Combine the roasted brussel sprouts and bacon into the pan of caramelized onions, stirring to mix, when all is heated through serve immediately.