Perfect for entertaining and simple enough for rookie cooks, Bundt cakes are ideal for any occasion.
When I think of a Bundt Cake my mind instantly goes to Mama making Bundt cakes in the 70’s (The Lemon ones where my favorite) and the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”. It took the discussion of the Bundt cake to a whole new level of humor. Here’s why, take a look at the clip below:
So now we all know that the “Bundt Cake” serves two purposes – (1) a delicious cake and (2) it can serve as a flower holder too!
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Zest of 5 oranges, finely grated (this can be less if you don't want it to be real orange-y. I wanted to make sure you could taste the orange flavor!)
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- For the orange glaze:
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Fahrenheit. Grease and flour bundt pan, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, orange zest, and orange juice. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding the buttermilk mixture and flour mixture to the bowl, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, you can tent it with a piece of foil.
- Cool cake completely before flipping it out onto a cooling rack. Let cool for another 30 minutes after you've flipped it out on a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, make the orange glaze by whisking together orange zest, powdered sugar, and orange juice. Add more orange juice if you like a looser glaze.
- Pour glaze over top of the bundt cake. Cut and serve.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.