Yes, it’s possible to make a colorful dinner salad inspired by the Mediterranean in less than 30 minutes. It can be made as the “Main Course” or as a side salad. It’s very versatile to sum it up it’s – Bright – Fresh – Crunchy – Simple!
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Author: Melissa Brewer- Food Luv 101
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound orzo (or riso)
- 2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 7-ounce package feta cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Bring broth to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool.
- Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into orzo. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature.