Yes, it’s possible to make a colorful dinner salad inspired by the Mediterranean in less than 30 minutes. It can be made as the “Main Course” or as a side salad. It’s very versatile to sum it up it’s – Bright – Fresh – Crunchy – Simple!
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Author: Melissa Brewer- Food Luv 101
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound orzo (or riso)
- 2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 7-ounce package feta cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Bring broth to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool.
- Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into orzo. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature.
Let’s face it salads can get boring at times. How many of us grew up going to a family picnic and there was that predictable potato, macaroni or even worse Iceberg lettuce salad? Yes times have changed and this little salad brings with it not only a variation of all the colors in the rainbow but it offers many textures and flavors that can really make it exciting and uber delish!
Author: Melissa Brewer
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 can Black Eyed Peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Corn Kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Sliced Black Olives, drained
- 1 Avocado, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- ¼ cup diced green onions
- 2 cups baby heirloom or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Jalapeño, sliced and take out the seeds
- ⅓ cup Cilantro, diced
- ⅓ cup Lime or Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tablespoon Hot Sauce (depends on how hot you like it)
- 1 Tablespoon drizzled Olive Oil
- 1½ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- In a large bowl, mix all your ingredients except Lime Juice,Olive Oil, Hot Sauce, Cumin and Garlic with a large spoon. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Then pour your Juice mix over your vegetables and beans and mix with a large spoon. Cover and put in the fridge for 1 hour to marrying those flavors together.
This is your caviar, partner take a load off and enjoy!
***Tip-Serve chilled with tortilla chips – in taco shells, in a baked potato, in a tortilla… whatever. This also pairs well with a Cowboy Shirt Steak or a Lime Grilled Chicken Breast.