Baked Peppers with Ricotta and Basil
Author: Frances & Edward Mayes- Authors of- The Tuscan Sun Cookbook
Recipe type: Dinner
- 5 Yellow or Red Peppers
- 2 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cups (1 Pound) Whole Milk Ricotta
- ½ Fresh Basil Leaves, Torn, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary or 1½ Teaspoons Dried
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves or 1½ Teaspoons Dried
- ½ finely sliced Green Onions
- 1 handful for Flat Leaf Parsley, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- A handful of Fresh Breadcrumbs, Crisped in a Little Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat the grill or turn the gas flame on the stove on high.
- Since the peppers on the grill or on the stovetop. I sent them down right on the stoves flame and keep turning them with the tongs. In about 10 minutes, the peppers should char all over, but don't cook them so long that they turn length. Cool and medium bowl, and then slide off the burned skin. Cut in half and cleaning out the ribs and seeds. Grab inside and out with olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, mint, basil, rosemary, thyme, green onions, parsley, salt and pepper. Beat in the eggs and parmigiano. Fill the peppers with the mixture. Line a 9 x 13" baking dish with parchment and arrange the peppers. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the ricotta is set to the touch.
- Garnish with Basil Leaves and Homemade Breadcrumbs - Drizzle with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil before serving.